Monday, November 8, 2010

Art Park, Etc.

My city is known as the "City of Art" and has this really great "art park" about an hour's walk from where I live. Everything is hidden away on a mountain, so it makes for a very interesting hike.


I've been 2 or 3 times, and every time I go there are people picnicking on these rocks. One little boy was swimming and catching fish. 


I think this is the most well-known sculpture in the park--it always shows up on search engines. It's called "Dancing Buddha" and has a giant propeller on its head. It spins, too! 


Possibly the creepiest thing I've seen in Korea. This is called "The Garden of Spirits" and has small white and brown/gray sculptures of tiny people everywhere. Truly unnerving. The second time I came, I tripped on my way in--possibly an omen? 



Note the limbs. These are two of the more normal-looking ones. Some don't have faces, and there's one with a hood over its head. 





You can hike up about 200 meters on top of this big structure, and you have these excellent views. I really need to figure out how to work my panorama because the 360 degree view is really phenomenal up there. 


There's a section called "New Species," which is hilarious. 


And now for less nature-y topics. Check out these drinks, "Power Assist" and "Confidence." 


This is the opening to Namdaemun Market, which is HUGE and open 24 hours. It's seriously so big I had to ask for and write down directions to get out. 



I bought a slice of melon here and I swear to god, I've never had better melon. They're about 30 bucks here for a whole one, so a buck a slice is not bad at all. 


This is the view from my language class' window. 


And this is the dinner we've taken to traditionally eating after every Saturday class (or every Saturday, as was the case this weekend when my pal and I were too interested in learning more about a palace to learn the language). The stuff cooking in the middle is bulgogi, a delicious marinated roast beef (seriously...so good), and after this we had kalbi, boneless short ribs. You're supposed to wrap the meat in the leaves next to the bulgogi. Seriously, the best food I've eaten in Korea. I think they might kill the cow in the back, it's so fresh.

But if you're not up for fancy eatin's, you could order McDonald's delivery...

\

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious delivery cart!!! Tell me it's a joke. Love the haunted gardens...but they are a bit creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smaller pictures...and how you can see the whole image at once! Regardless, they are all gorgeous. I'm a little jealous of all the traveling you have been doing! :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete